Welcome to the Vertical Relief Climbing Center blog! Your source for what's going on in our little corner of the climbing world.

Friday, June 11, 2010

June Women's Clinic: Cleaning Sport Routes



Hello All,

I hope you all are getting to enjoy these magical summer days! I know the sunshine has been making me super happy. I hope that you will find time to come and join me for the monthly Women's Clinic on the 25th of June from 6 to 8 pm. This month we will be working on Cleaning Sport Routes.

Cleaning Sport Routes: why is this important? Well, the number one reason I can think of is to get your gear!

I know that when I first started climbing routes I would just top rope. My climbing partner with all the fancy gear and know how would lead a route, un-clip all the draws on the way down, climb the route again after me, do something magical at the top of the route and walla, he had all his stuff and then we were off to the next one. That is a super sweet set up for the person who always gets to TR and never has to clean anything. Not so sweet for the rope gunner!

Climbing is a partnership. Each partner has roles and responsibilities to carry out. I always like to make sure I am doing my part and I expect the same of my climbing partner. For example, if I hike the rope in and out then they should carry all the draws, if they are getting ready to climb I will flake the rope, and if they lead a route then I am for sure going to clean it.It is a balanced system with each person doing their part to make sure it is fun and rewarding for both people. It also just makes good sense, the leader leads the second cleans.

I also feel that anything that seems like magic is worth looking into. Knowing how to clean a sport route especially the anchors is not super complicated and for sure it is not magic but you do have to untie from the rope while at the top of the route. So, you do have to know what your doing or bad things will happen.

So, in general cleaning is a good skill to have you get your gear back, share the work load and even if you are not the person doing the cleaning you should know if your partner is doing it correctly or not.

If you would like to learn to clean sport routes or if you know how and are just kind of rusty and want to practice your skills come join me for the Women's Clinic June 25th 6-8pm*.

Hope to see you there,













Sam Dauderman

*Clinic is FREE with day pass or membership and for WOMEN ONLY.


No comments:

Post a Comment